Will A Small Amount Of Garlic Hurt My Dog?

More and more people in this day and age are making their own dog food. And with that, the ingredients that are hazardous or toxic for dogs are becoming more known.

There are tons of ingredients on the market that humans put in their everyday food that is toxic for dogs. And one of these ingredients is garlic. Garlic is known to be toxic for dogs and can cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. In fact, in large quantities, garlic can even cause serious conditions like hemolytic anemia.

With that said, there are times when your dog may accidentally eat garlic. You may have inadvertently added clove to their food, or your pet could have gotten into your pantry and raided it.

Either way, if you catch your dog eating garlic, it can cause some panic. However, you have to keep in mind that the quantity of garlic that your dog ate plays a big role in how it affects your pet.

Check how much garlic your dog needs to eat before they start getting sick. We also touch on some of the things you have to do if your dog eats garlic and even the reasons that garlic is toxic to dogs.

What Makes Garlic Toxic To Dogs?

The main reason garlic is toxic for dogs are compounds known as thiosulfates. Garlic and other members of the allium family like onions and shallots have high quantities of thiosulfates in the bulbs, skin, and even the plant itself. So, if you have garlic or onion plants in your garden, we highly recommend keeping your dog away from them at all costs.

Whether cooked or raw, garlic contains thiosulfates. So, even if you roasted the garlic to put in your dog’s food, it can still be toxic for your pet.

Get to know more about garlic’s toxicity for your pet in this Spot & Tango guide.

What Happens If My Dog Eats Garlic?

If your dog eats garlic, the first signs of garlic poisoning are an upset stomach. So, if your dog starts vomiting, having diarrhea, or showing other symptoms of gastrointestinal issues, this could be a sign of garlic poisoning. When ingested, it takes around an hour or two before the garlic starts taking effect on your dog.

However, for the more major symptoms such as anemia, it can take a bit longer for them to exhibit themselves. Typically, it can take up to a week for all the consequences of eating garlic to show themselves in your dog.

Additionally, prolonged ingestion of garlic can creep up slowly on dogs and take you by surprise years later.

How Much Garlic Is Poisonous To Dogs?

However, keep in mind that this isn’t universal or constant. This is simply an average estimate of how much garlic it takes to poison a dog. Keep in mind that every single dog is different and may have its own tolerance levels for garlic. While 15-30 grams per kilo of their body weight is the general average, there are some dogs that can have less garlic while there are some dogs that can have more.

For example, there are many reports that Japanese dog breeds are more sensitive to garlic poisoning. So, if you own a Shiba Inu or a Japanese Spitz, you should make sure to keep them as far away from garlic as possible as they can be more sensitive to the thiosulfates.

There are some studies that show that garlic can work as a flea deterrent. However, none of these studies have shown conclusive evidence to show that dogs can have garlic in small amounts and reap benefits.

And considering that there are so many risks to feeding your dog garlic, it may be better to stay on the safe side and always keep the food away from your dog.

What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Garlic?

If you catch your dog eating garlic, the first thing to do is to get it away from them. Remember, the less garlic your dog eats, the better. After you take the garlic away from your dog, the next step is to wait and observe. As mentioned earlier, some dogs have a higher tolerance to garlic than others. So, there may be a chance that your dog will be completely fine after.

However, if you notice your dog start throwing up after an hour or so of eating the garlic, that could be a sign of garlic poisoning. Usually, symptoms will go away after a couple of hours. But if symptoms persist for more than 24 hours, we highly recommend contacting your vet and scheduling an appointment at your earliest convenience.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

404 Not Found

404 Not Found